Computer Technology
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Computer Technology

Forums for Computer Technology

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Art Courtesy Thread

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DarknessFalls
Admin
Admin
DarknessFalls

Number of posts : 769
Registration date : 2007-06-27

Character sheet
Name: Leo Grant Krazelberd
Job: Celestial Slayer
Experience Bar:
Art Courtesy Thread Left_bar_bleue5000/5000Art Courtesy Thread Empty_bar_bleue  (5000/5000)

Art Courtesy Thread Empty
PostSubject: Art Courtesy Thread   Art Courtesy Thread Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2007 6:28 pm

The Art Courtesy Thread

This’ll actually touch up on more than one thing. Things will be added as well, so don’t worry if I miss some things.

Critique
Okay, a critique is something where people tell you what’s good and bad with your art. They’re meant to help you, not insult you, so chill. They’re a good thing to have, and the better the critique, the more one will improve!

Okay, as an art forum, it’s obvious that there is going to be art posted. People’s art! Art that needs to be seen and heard! Art that needs… Improvement.

And we’re here to help you. Most of us, anyways. This thread is being made to help people with critiques: Giving and Receiving.

Giving a Critique

Be helpful! That’s the main point of a critique, kiddies. This can refer to two things: The good and the bad.
Good: It’s cute.
I’m not saying that you can’t say this, but if you want to help the artist, it’d be real cool if you pointed out what about it you liked. You’ve got to be thinking more than that, right? And there has to be something about it you don’t like, right?
Bad: It sucks.
Okay, I really don’t want you saying this, and I bet the artist doesn’t either. It’s okay to think it, and maybe even say it if you know the artist won’t go kill themselves over it, but say why it “sucks.” Point out what’s bad about it, and how to fix it. You don’t want to keep looking at art that sucks, do you? Well, neither do I! So help the artist out and say what’s wrong with the picture.

Don’t judge just by your way of doing things. Just because you do something one way, doesn’t mean everyone else in the world has to. There are different styles (but don’t confuse style for error), so try to critique in a general format. There’s not just one way to do things, so get out of your bubble, ‘kay?

“It’s better than what I can do.” Sorry, that’s not a critique. Just saying that is not going to help anyone, and it actually sounds kind of rude.

Actually give critique. Come on, it couldn’t hurt. A lot of people here want to improve, and what you have to say could really help them. Don’t be embarrassed or shy, we want to hear from you!

Receiving a Critique

Have thick skin. Seriously, there have been too many times where someone who has received a critique has gotten all defensive over what people have said. If you can’t take a crit, get out of the kitchen. Okay, that didn’t make the most sense. But seriously, if you can’t deal with what other people say about your art, you probably shouldn’t be posting it up on the internet.

If you’re going to argue, you better be sure you’re right. I say this because usually when people critique something, they know what they’re talking about. If you’re going to argue with them, you better be sure as hell that what you’re saying is right. Don’t just say it’s “style,” don’t blame it on other things. Why? ‘Cause chances are it’s YOU. Not any other element you want to throw in there to save yourself. Listen and learn.

Be courteous. Really, I can’t stress this enough. Thank people for giving you a crit, they deserve it for taking time out of their busy schedule (haha, yeah right) to help you improve. A little thank you wouldn’t hurt.

Show that you’re learning. When people critique you on something, try to apply it to your next piece of art. Show them that you really were listening to them. I always adore people that listen to the crits given to them.

Don’t be a critique glutton. Don’t just post and expect everyone to comment on your work, but don’t go out and comment on theirs. It’d be real nice of you to do the same for others. D=

You’re not here to show off. Don’t just post your art here to show off because you think you’re “perfect” or something. ‘Cause you’re not. If you post art, expect that someone will critique it. No piece of art is perfect.
-------------------------------------------------------
Got this from one of the forums. I thought I might find it useful for this section too.
Back to top Go down
https://comptech.forumotion.com

Art Courtesy Thread
Page 1 of 1